Chanonry Point

Lighthouses on the East Coast of Scotland

In Salutem Omnium
For the Safety of All
Chanonry Point - Rosmarkie
Flag of Scotland
© Compiled by:
Bob Schrage
page updated: 24-02-2021
Barns Ness
Bass Rock
Bell Rock
Buchan Ness
Buddon Ness
Chanonry
Clyth Ness
Covesea Skerry
Cromarty
Elie Ness
Fidra
Fife Ness
Gridle Ness
Inchkeith
Isle of May
Kinnaird Head
Noss Head
Oxcars
Rattray
Scurdie Ness
St Abbs Head
Tarbat Ness
Tod Head

Under Construction

Place of the lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Description Dated 1897. David A Stevenson, Engineer. Circular entasised column with corbelled gallery and lantern dome. Harl with exposed dressings. Statement of Special Interest The light was converted to electric in 1973 and automated in 1986. In 2007 the light was decommission and the optic system including machine with clockwork mechanism and lens were removed and donated to the National Museum of Scotland.

The lighthouse building is listed as being of Architectural/Historic interest. The name Tod Head could be from Gaelic, Toedhadh, warm, simmering as in Tod Burn, ie the warm burn in West Lothian; but it is more likely to be from Tod, old Lowland Scots for Fox, ie Fox Head, known to have been used in 1170. Board of Trade sanction to build a lighthouse and fog signal at Tod Head was given on 8 November 1894. The light was first exhibited on 20 December 1897 and the fog signal came into operation on 28 April 1898. There have been many changes since then. In 1973 the light was changed to a large wattage electric lamp installed in place of the paraffin vapour burner and the lens is driven by duplicate electric motors. The controls for these and the generator, which will start up if the mains fails, is housed in a new engine room. An electric foghorn was also installed and is controlled by a fog detector which will automatically cause the fog signal to sound when visibility falls below a certain range. This was discontinued in 1987. The lighthouse was automated in 1988. In January 2005, the three General Lighthouse Authorities (GLAs) of the UK and Ireland issued a consultation document following a joint review of Aids to Navigation of the coasts of the United Kingdom and Ireland. The Review addressed the current and future requirements of national and international vesselping and those of Mariners. Each Aid to Navigation - light, buoy or beacon - was studied in isolation, as well as in relation to the other Aids to Navigation in its vicinity. As a result of this review it was agreed to discontinue the light at Tod Head, which only served as a 'waypoint' rather than to mark a specific hazard. Tod Head was therefore permanently discontinued with effect from 11 July 2007. It should be noted that at some sites the Northern Lighthouse Board have sold some redundant buildings within the lighthouse complex and are not responsible for the maintenance of these building. Under construction

A3234(ex)

Character: (discont.)

Engineer: David Alan Stevenson (1854-1938)

Lat, Lon: 56°53.025' N, 02°12.918' W

Established: 1897
Character: Flashing(4) White every 30 secs.
Range: 33.3 km / 18 nM
Elevation: 41 meters above sealevel
Tower: 20 meters
Init. Costs: £ ?.
Econ. Costs*: £ ?.
*) According to: MeasuringWorth.com

Automated: 1988
Last Keepers: ? - PLK
: ? - ALK
: ? - ALK
Fog horn: Discont. in 2001 (6 blasts in 90 s.)

Status: Discontinued July 2007
Authority: Northern Lighthouse Board
Remarks: Candle power 300.000 cd
: Cat.B - LB9535 - 18/08/1972

Tod Head lighthouse
Tod Head lighthouse
Tod Head lighthouse
Tod Head lighthouse
Tod Head lighthouse
References:

xxxxx- xxxxx