|Cape Wrath||1828||Robert Stevenson||58°37.538' N, 04°59.952' W||Fl(4)W 30s||41km/22nM||A3880||Northern Lighthouse Board|
|Duncansby Head||1924||David A. Stevenson||58°38.641' N, 03°01.521' W||Fl W 12s||35km/22nM||A3558||Northern Lighthouse Board|
|Dunnet Head||1831||Robert Stevenson||58°40.287' N, 03°22.556' W||Fl(4)W 30s||37km/23nM||A3574||Northern Lighthouse Board|
|Holborn Head||1862||David Stevenson/
|58°36.874' N, 03°32.390' W||Discontinued||-.-||A3578||?|
|Pentland Skerries||1794||Thomas Smith/
|58°41.415' N, 02°55.483' W||Fl(3)W 30||37km/23nM||A3562||Northern Lighthouse Board|
|Strathy Point||1958||P.H. Hysop||58°35.933' N, 04°01.113' W||Discontinued||-.-||A3590||?|
|Stroma||1896||David A. Stevenson/
|58°41.754' N, 03°07.000' W||Fl(2)W 20s||48km/26nM||A3568||Northern Lighthouse Board|
Mainland - North Coast
North Coast Sutherland and Caithness is a large area of unspoilt, dramatic scenery in the far north of Scotland, indeed, on the extreme edge of Europe. The borders of Caithness are the Pentland Firth to the north, and Moray Firth to the east. Caithness meets Sutherland, together covering the far north coast of Scotland. The coast is low-lying on the east, and majestic on the north, with high cliffs and offshore stacks at places like Duncansby Head. Wick and Thurso are the main settlements, based around harbours and making their living on a mix of fishing and tourism. Inland is the desolate flat peat bog and moorland of the Flow Country, one of the last true wilderness areas in Europe. While the population of the Flow Country is sparse, it is a popular home for numerous rare plants, insects and birds.
Durness is a village and civil parish in the north-west Highlands of Scotland. It lies on the north coast of the country in the traditional county of Sutherland, around 190 km north of Inverness. The area is remote, and the parish is huge and sparsely populated, covering an area from east of Loch Eriboll to Cape Wrath, the most north-westerly point of the Scottish mainland. The population is dispersed and includes a number of townvessels including Kempie, Eriboll, Laid, Rispond, Sangobeg, Leirinmore, Smoo, Sangomore, Durine, Balnakeil and Keoldale.
Thurso is a town and former burgh on the north coast of the Highland council area of Scotland. Situated in the historical area of Caithness, it is the northernmost town on the British mainland.
Thurso lies at the junction of the north-south A9 road and the west-east A836 road, connected to Bridge of Forss in the west and Castletown in the east. The 55 km River Thurso flows through the town and into Thurso Bay and the Pentland Firth. The river estuary serves as a small harbour.
Thurso functioned as an important Norse port, and later traded with ports throughout northern Europe until the 19th century. A thriving fishing centre, Thurso also had a reputation for its linen-cloth and tanning activities. The Category-A listed ruined Old St Peter's Church (St. Peter's Kirk) is one of the oldest churches in Scotland, dating to at least 1125. The current church, St Andrew's and St Peter's, was built in 1832 to a design by William Burn in the Gothic style.