Firths Voe (Mossbank lighthouse)
Firths Voe lighthouseb is an important major aid to navigation helping guide vessels through the narrow approach channel to Sullom Voe via the south east entrance into Yell Sound. The light was established in 1909 by David A Stevenson. It has a character of occulting White/Red/Green every 8 seconds and a range of White 15 miles/Red 10 miles/ Green 10 miles. The light is a small 8 metre high cast iron structure.
1909 (David A. and Charles Stevenson). Active; focal plane 9 m (29 ft); light 6 s on, 2 s off, white, red, or green depending on direction. 9 m (29 ft) round cylindrical cast iron (?) tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. 1-story stone keeper's cottage. Shetlopedia's photo is at right, Trabas has a photo by Klaus Potschien, Mike Pennington has a photo, Jenšíková has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located in Firth, on the northern part of Shetland Mainland. Site open, tower closed. Operator: Northern Lighthouse Board. ARLHS SCO-082; Admiralty A3812; NGA 3428.
Character: Oc WRG 8s 9m 15-10M
(lt. 6.0s - ec. 2.0s)
|Engineer||David Alan Stevenson (1854-1938)|
|Lat, Lon||60°27.224' N, 01°10.621' W|
|Character||Oc WRG every 8 sec.|
|Range||W=15 nM. R=10nM, G=10 nM|
|Elevation||9 meters above sea-level|
|Authority||Northern Lighthouse Board|
|Remarks||Cat. C listed nr:44532 - 26/03/1997|