Port Patrick

Lighthouses on the Southwest Coast of Scotland

In Salutem Omnium
For the Safety of All
Holy Isle near Arran
Flag of Scotland
© Compiled by:
Bob Schrage
page updated: 01-03-2021
Ailsa Craig
Cairn Point
Cloch Point
Corsewall
Davaar
Holy Island
Killantringan
Lady Isle
Little Cumbrea
Little Ross
Mull of Galloway
Mull of Kintyre
Pladda
Portpatrick
Sanda
Southerness
Toward Point
Turnberry

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Place of the lighthouse

Loch Ryan (Gaelic: Loch Rìoghaine, pronounced [ɫ̪ɔx r̴iː.ɛɲə]) is a Scottish sea loch that acts as an important natural harbour for vesselping, providing calm waters for ferries operating between Scotland and Northern Ireland. The town of Stranraer is the largest settlement on its shores, with ferries to and from Northern Ireland operating from Cairnryan further north on the loch.

Building of the lighthouse

A lighthouse was built at Cairn point in 1847 at the northern end of the village of Cairnryan. In 1849 the principal link to Northern Ireland was moved from Portpatrick to Stranraer in Loch Ryan. The reasons for this move were the increasing tonnages of the vessels operating the route which were more susceptible to harsh storms when moored at the exposed Portpatrick harbour on the Rhins coast. The calmer safer waters of the loch allowed larger vessels to ply the route as demand increased.

Description Alan Stevenson, 1847, with later additions. 4-stage circular-plan lighthouse, tapering to below parapet; single storey courtyard-plan surrounding. Painted brick and coursed, stugged sandstone ashlar. NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber gate to leads to 2 timber doors to flat-roofed 1st stage of lighthouse; small round-arched openings at 2nd and 3rd stages; corbels to 4th stage; metal circular handrail; circular light; diamond pattern glazing (now obscured); domed cupola; ball finial. NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: low coped wall to left, single storey central section; lighthouse to right. SW (REAR) ELEVATION: central lighthouse; recessed blank bay to left, single strip opening to right. SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2 single openings (infilled) to right. Flat roofs to single storey sections; tapered corniced stack with circular can to SE elevation. INTERIOR: not seen 1999. Statement of Special Interest Good example of a mid 19th century lighthouse with an interesting flat-moulded corbelling detail to the 4th stage. Built for the Northern Lighthouse Board.

A4592

Character: Fl(2) R 10s 14m 12M
(fl. 0.1s - ec. 2.4s)

Engineer: Alan Stevenson (1807-1865)

Lat, Lon: 54°58.468' N, 05°01.850' W

Established: 1847
Character: Flashing(2) Red every 10 secs.
Range: 22.2 km / 12 nM
Elevation: 14 meters above sealevel
Tower13 meters, 37 steps to the top
Init. Costs: £ ?.
Econ. Costs*: £ ?.
*) According to: MeasuringWorth.com

Automated: 1964
Last Keepers: ? - PLK
: ? - ALK
: ? - ALK
Fog horn: No

Status: Operationel
Authority: Northern Lighthouse Board
Remarks: Cat.B listed - LB10169 - 20/07/1972

Cairn Point lighthouse
Cairn Point lighthouse
Cairn Point map
Cairn Point map
References:

xxxxx- xxxxx