Ushenish Lighthouse was designed by engineers, David and Thomas Stevenson. Established in 1857, it incorporated a new 'condensing' apparatus developed by Thomas Stevenson as an improvement to the dioptric system. The lighthouse was automated in 1970, one of the first major automatic lights. The gas-operated Dalen beacon was monitored from Neist Point Lighthouse, on Skye.
Usinish Lighthouse, D. and T. Stevenson, 1857, Tower, built unusually all of brick, with surviving perimeter wall and latrines (although the cottages have been reduced to footings); automated 1970. It is accessible only by boat, or by foot through the isolated glens that descend east from Beinn Mhor, Corodale and Hecla. These now empty glens are scattered with souterrains, abandoned dwellings and shieling huts.
This island lighthouse defines the W shore of the Sea of the Hebrides from an isolated situation on the E coast of South Uist. Buildings and a helipad have benn constructed to the W of the lighthouse itself.
The lighthouse was first lit on 10 November 1857, having been constructed built as one of the major scheme (involving the construction of no fewer than 29 lights) carried ot by David and Thomas Stevenson between 1854 and 1878. It incorporated the new 'condensing' apparatus developed by Thomas Stevenson as an improvement to the dioptric system.
This lighthouse was automated in 1970, being one of the first group of major automatic lights. The gas-operated Dalen beacon was monitored from Neist Head lighthouse (NG14NW 5.00), on Skye.
1857 (David and Thomas Stevenson). Active; focal plane 54 m (176 ft); flash every 20 s, white or red depending on direction. 12 m (39 ft) cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, watch room buff, lantern black. 1-story keeper's houses and other buildings enclosed by a stone wall. A photo is at right, Charles Tait has a photo showing the isolated situation of this station, Neil King has an aerial photo, Trabas has Kees Aalbersberg's distant view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view of the station. Located on the easternmost point of South Uist, about 7 km (4.5 mi) southeast of Loch Sgioport. Accessible only by boat; an unpaved road leads to the light station from a sheltered landing point. Site and tower closed. Operator: Northern Lighthouse Board. ARLHS SCO-249; Admiralty A4004; NGA 3900.