In 1853 the Commissioners' Engineer David Stevenson, who had succeeded his brother Alan in February, prepared a list of 45 possible sites thought desirable to complete a system of lights for the coasts of Scotland. The board named eight which ought to be given priority - Sound of Islay (at or near Port Askaig), Sound of Mull (at or near Tobermory), the north and south entrances to the sounds between Skye and the mainland (Rona and Ornsay), the coast of Sutherland (at or near Stoer Head or Rubh' Re), Holborn Head near Thurso, Cantick Head or Switha in Orkney, and Bressay at the south entrance to Lerwick harbour.
Rubha na Gall (Sound of Mull), Ornsay, Kyleakin, Rona and Ushenish were all lighted on 10 November 1857. On Rona, north of Raasay, a widow named Janet Mackenzie had for many years shown a light in one of her windows which enabled fishing boats to clear the rocks at the harbour entrance, and she had been given a grant of £20 by the Commissioners.
On (Source "Scottish Lighthouses")
Rona light was automated in 1975.
This isolated lighthouse on Rona, at the north end of the Isle of Raasay, was built in 1857. The light serves the Sound of Raasay now an important Ministry of Defence torpedo testing range. For many years prior to 1857 the only light on Rona was provided by Janet Mackenzie - a widow who is said to have lost her husband and sons when their boat hit the rocks. She kept a light burning in the front of her cottage as a guide to any boats entering the natural harbour on the west side of the island.